It seems that music and business couldn’t be more different. But our guest today has found that they are far more similar than we think. Today’s guest on A Life and a Living Podcast is Gerald J. Leonard, CEO of Principles of Execution and accomplished musician. The work he has done as a consultant is absolutely fascinating.
Gerald started out as a musician that wound up in the field of IT. Over time, he then worked his way into the CEO position of Principles of Execution and is the author of two books, Culture is the Bass and Workplace Jazz. As you can see, music still plays a significant role in Gerald’s life and his career. In today’s episode, he weaves together what he knows and uses as a musician into the business world and the results speak for themselves.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Gerald’s Background and Passion in Music
- What Business and Music Have in Common
- The Importance of Learning Your Instrument
- Understanding the Value of Practice and Repetition
- Seeking a Coach, Instructor, or Mentor to Hone Your Business Craft
- Demonstrating Expertise
- Developing an Environment to Create Team Buy-In
- How to Get a Diverse Mindset for Innovation
- Learning by Watching versus Learning by Listening
- Conversations Drive Culture
- The Neuroscience Behind Culture
- Gerald’s Advice to Leaders Through Crisis
- Growth Through Agility, Flexibility, and Innovation
- Covid’s Positive Impact on Culture and Teamwork
- Gerald’s Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Gerald J. Leonard is the CEO of Principles of Execution (PofE), a Certified Minority Business Enterprise, Strategic Project Portfolio Management and Culture Change consulting and coaching practice with over 20+ years experience working with large Federal and State Governments and Multinational Corporations. Gerald provides an insightful and unique way of combining his experience and expertise as a professional bassist and a certified Portfolio Management Professional consultant.
To reach Gerald, go to his website: https://geraldjleonard.com/
Connect with Gerald J. Leonard:
- Workplace Jazz Website
- Culture is the Bass: 7 Steps to Creating High Performance Teams by Gerald J. Leonard
- Workplace Jazz: How to Improvise – 9 Steps to Creating High-Performance Agile Project Teams by Gerald J. Leonard
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast