After spending years focused on happiness through success, today’s guest made an important realization: with all of his success, he just wasn’t happy. With a background as a scientist, Eric Karpinski made the shift and was hooked on learning Positive Psychology and bringing it to the world of business management. Eric shares powerful psychology and neuroscience research that shows that happiness leads to success, not the other way around.
In today’s episode, Eric gives us a peek into his new book Put Happiness to Work and how his tools and strategies help people find more happiness at work. He digs into psychology and the study of how we need to raise the happiness level in organizations for the sake of the employees and the organization as a whole. How do we achieve this? How do we deal with employees who are challenging to engage? And how does happiness overlap with engagement?
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- How Happiness Through Success Didn’t Work for Eric
- Positive Psychology: The Study of Happiness
- The Overlap Between Happiness and Engagement
- Hard Science vs. Wishful Thinking
- The Need for Negative Emotions and Hurting Happiness Through Suppression
- The Testimonials for Put Happiness to Work
- Changing How We Think About Engagement
- The Subset of Positive Emotions: Contentment and Satisfaction
- The Impact of COVID on Eric’s Book
- Suffering Through Isolation
- Eric’s Suggestions for Boosting Connection During Meetings
- Finding Meaning in the Work We Do
- The Groups of People You Will Find in the Workplace
- The Tools and Strategies That Eric Details in Put Happiness to Work
- Eric’s Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Eric Karpinski has been on the cutting edge of bringing positive psychology tools to workplaces across North America for nearly 10 years. In his programs, he shares powerful psychology and neuroscience research that shows that happiness leads to success, not the other way around. He’s helped tens of thousands of people find more happiness at work and helped managers and executives lead with positive emotions to drive team productivity, engagement and performance. His clients include: Intel, Facebook, TIAA, T-Mobile, Eli Lilly, Nationwide Insurance, Genentech and many others.
To reach Eric, go to his website: https://www.erickarpinski.com/
Connect with Eric Karpinski:
- Eric Karpinski’s Web Site
- Put Happiness to Work by Eric Karpinski
- Eric Karpinski on LinkedIn
- Eric Karpinski on Twitter
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast