To recap, Hans was the President and CEO of international non-profit WorldVenture for 20 years, serving over 65 countries. Today, he is the President of HDLeaders. He is also a speaker and author of many books that have been translated into over 24 languages.
In this second interview, Hans shares his thoughts on leading and managing, pointing out that it is not one or the other, it is both. Managers need to lead and Leaders need to manage.
Here’s a list of some of the words that Hans uses to differentiate leading and managing:
- Look after the well-being of the team, and it’s individuals
- Ensure team is working well together
- Have a long-range perspective
- Ask questions – “What and Why?”
- Do the right thing
- Focus on systems and structure
- Have short-range view
- Do things right
Hans also elaborates on how he explains the difference between “persistence” and “resilience.
Also, I find it very interesting to hear what Hans has to say about the common reason many managers find it hard to delegate.
- Fear of losing authority
- Fear of the work being done poorly
- Fear of the work being done better
- Unwillingness to take the necessary time
- Fear of depending on others
- Lack of leadership training and positive delegation experience
- Fear of losing value in the organization
For anyone who has the responsibility to lead and manage people, this interview with Hans is a “must listen to” podcast.
You can learn more about Hans Finzel by visiting his website at hansfinzel.com
Let me end with this quote that Hans got from his mentor, Howard Hendricks
“Your career is what you’re paid for and your calling is what you are made for.”
Listen to the interview here.
Are you ready to be a great leader?
10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders
These 10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders can set you on your journey to lasting success!
Click HERE to download.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Thanks to Jodey Smith, my podcasting technical genius, who does all the bits I don’t
like –the editing, the uploading etc. He is a gem and can be contacted at JodeySmith.com.